Friday, 7 May 2010

Silk shirt

I have started another shirt the same as the white one and the flowered one thoughts were, we have the builders in and I still wanted to sew so I thought I would do a TNT project so there is no stress just straight forward sewing.......huh!!!!!!!??????......that's what I thought.

This was not the time to use my favourite silk which cost me over £50. It is a pain in the work with, in fact at one stage I was just going to fold it up and put it away in my box and leave it there.

This is the villain in question.

This pattern has a yoke and the front shoulder seam has to have a stay to stop it from stretching.I tried organza

this was just to stiff and made the seam wavy. Then I tried batiste

this also made the seam wavy and was just to heavy for the delicate silk. I then used self fabric, cutting it on the straight grain so it wouldn't stretch.....still not this point I just wanted to fold it up and put it away.

This morning I decided I wouldn't put any stay in at all, everything is too heavy, so I decided to put a couple of rows of stay stitching in the seam before I sew it

this is a little better but as I have pulled this seam out about 3 times it has eventually stretched it but I am going to persevere with it and see if I can salvage it. The trouble is the V neck on the shirt and the back neck also has to have a stay and I will just have to put staystitching there as well. I wonder how this will turn out, will I have a beautiful silk shirt at the end of it or will it go back into my box and never see the light of day.

No comments: